Mr. Grant's Blog

EdTech Reflections & Free Inquiry (iPhone Photography)

Free inquiry: part E (Black & White)

Now that I was comfortable taking and editing photos with colours, I decided to tackle black and white photography for this edition of free inquiry.

I learned that black and white photography is all about playing with only the black, white, and shades in-between in your image, so you should always emphasize the contrast.

Before editing a photo into black and white, consider what about it draws your eye? The contrast? The texture? Any picture can be black and white but that doesn’t mean they all should be.

“Black and white creates a strange dreamscape that color never can.”

Jack Antonoff

For my three photos, I picked images that were enhanced by them being in black and white. The photo of the book has a strong shadow caused by the page blowing in the wind, which attracts the viewer’s eye.

The featured image has an element of movement with the foreground subject moving past the art in the background, creating a small amount of blur. The black and white in this photo really makes these two subjects pop as it makes them similar colours, when before the edit they distracted from each other.

For the last image, being in black and white changes the feel entirely. Before, the bright blue sky and green grass made the photo feel uplifting and cheerful, but the black and white edit has made it more moody, nostalgic, and romantic.